1. Brittany Arnold invaded Mercedes Benz Stadium in unique fashion last night and even helped carry the Golden Spike! After months of Atlanta United Twitter bemoaning the inability to find photos of Brittany Arnold that were high resolution enough to turn into a big head, a Big Head Special Forces (BHSF) team was assembled and steps were taken to secure high resolution photos. The final result? FIVE Brittany Arnold big heads which made an appearance during last night's match against Philadelphia; in time for a televised broadcast by Fox Sports South, for optimal effect. We love you Brittany, and we don't control who can hammer the spike, but we can make damn sure you helped carry it into the stadium and hang out by the spike while our capos lead us in chants!
2. Atlanta United's flare for sexy fútbol is so infectious, Tito's goal against Montreal got the press box swooning to the point that the media had to be reminded that they're expected to report, not cheer. As Stu Cowen of the Montreal Gazette recalled it, "After Argentinian star Hector Villalba scored in the 28th minute for Atlanta United on a spectacular long-range kick, the team’s PR staff felt compelled to make an announcement to some media members: 'A reminder, there is no cheering in the pressbox.' The local media must have got the message because there was no cheering after Jeff Larentowicz made it 2-0 for Atlanta in the 73rd minute." It turns out the outburst may have been fueled by a decision to pump in the stadium noise into the otherwise almost quiet, sound proof press box. But then again, even without sound, Tito's rocket into the top right corner will make any grown man scream.
3. GRESSELMANIA IS REAL! LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHIN' BROTHER!! IF JULIAN GRESSEL
DOESN'T GET ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, IM COMIN' FOR YA JUDGES! No Almirón? No problem. Julian Gressel threw Philadelphia against the ropes and into a devastating arm bar - slotting the ball into the bottom right of their net for his 4th goal of the season. What's that? You want some more? No problem -- how about an assist to Josef to make Gressel's 9th assist of the season -- now putting him in 2nd-place among all time for MLS rookies (Clint Mathis had 10 in 1998). So ya, I'd say that GRESSELMANIA IS HERE TO STAY, BROTHER!
4. The Soccer Cooligans have invaded Atlanta! As part of a visit that included catching an Atlanta United match, judging our pizza, interviewing players post-match, and judging our pizza -- they also found time to drop by the combined tailgate in The Gulch with Terminus Legion, Faction, and Footie Mob. They also found time to drop by AGAIN post-match for an interview with Atlanta United Fan TV. This stand-up comedy duo from Brooklyn puts on a great podcast dedicated to MLS with a comedic spin and, for the exception of our pizza, they have given our city and our team a lot of love. So be sure to catch their live soccer-comedy podcast with special guests Julien Gressel and Brittany Arnold today (Thursday, September 28th) at the Argosy; doors open at 6:00pm for a 6:30pm show. Tickets remaining are limited, so get yours now at SoccerCooligans.com and click the "Atlanta Live Show" link.
5. Lastly, I seem to recall something else... let me just look through my notes, here... oh SSSSNAP!!! WE'RE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS! WE'RE GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRREASGJIOLNNCFDSWWPPKBGXSQWYAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!